Monday, January 7, 2013

Ladies Night

I don't have many friends.  I have a handful of close friends and they all live hours (most of them states) away.  I don't go out with girl friends, um, ever.  If I go out I go out with my husband.  Which is lovely, since he is my best friend and all.  Once in a blue moon the hubby and I will get together with his friends (who also live an hour or so away) for a nice evening out.

When one of my oldest and best friends (who now lives in Colorado) sent a message around Facebook that she was coming back to our hometown for a visit a group of friends from high school quickly insisted on a ladies night out.  

We ate at one of my favorite restaurants, we had cocktails, laughed until our faces hurt, and talked 'til all hours of the morning.  It was fabulous.   And even though I was extremely exhausted the next day I still felt rejuvenated.  Thanks, ladies!
Never underestimate a good "girl's night out".  



*Funny story*
Getting together for the first time in years we were all complimenting each other on how great we look, and that we haven't aged since high school.  We were all feeling quite good about ourselves until Erica and I (the pretty lady sitting next to me in the above picture) were at a crowded bar that same evening and as a young man (maybe 21 or 22 years old) tried to squeeze by us he said, "Excuse me, older but attractive ladies."
  
We laughed until we nearly passed out.

Head swelling remedied.  

18 comments:

Tabor said...

Older but Attractive...that is a new one. Friendship renewals do keep us young.

Bijoux said...

Some mama brought that boy up right!

Kat said...

Bijoux- Really? See, my friend and I thought it was a good example of what NOT to say to a woman (older or not). I think I'll tell my boys that under no circumstances, whatsoever, should they ever refer to a woman (to her face) as "older". Even if they try and sweeten it with "attractive".

Lynn said...

Looks like great fun! I don't want to hear the word "older"....makes me feel OLD!!! Women want to feel attractive..why couldn't he just say "attractive?" LOL

betty said...

So glad you had that ladies night out! It looked like and sounded like a lot of fun! I think we all need that more often than we allow ourselves to have them.

betty

Unknown said...

Ha ha! Love the story at the end. :D

And yes, ladies night out is pretty awesome. I'm kinda spoiled in that regard. Come down, I'll take you out!! ;)

Glad you girls had a great time!!

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling for you--and that young man was wise to speak to you that way;)

Kristen said...

that.is.awesome! I love that he said that!! Hey, and if it was me...I would hold onto the "attractive" part and not the "older" part. :)

yay for getting a night out as well. I rarely go out as well, but sometimes it is fun to laugh with the girls. Glad you had such a fun night!

Dianne said...

I was once in a bar when I realized the bartender was someone I had babysat
talk about a come down
but I did get free drinks

wonderful photo of a beautiful group!!

Kat said...

I'm surprised everyone is thinking that it was wise of him to address us as "older". I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Who does that? Still, I think it was HILARIOUS! Especially since we were all just talking about how we haven't aged. So much for that. HA!

Anyway, I'll still tell my boys to NEVER reference a woman's age or being older when addressing her. ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

That is one of the coolest things I have ever heard.

Cyndy Bush said...

I can't help but wonder if he immediately thought "why the HELL did I just say that?!" LOL
Cougars, all of y'all!! ;-)

Barb said...

What a bunch of beautiful, young(ish) dames!

Riahli said...

Yay to the girls night out!
Try having a sister that is 10 years younger {and super beautiful}... reality bites. ;) That comment would have made me laugh too, but what a weird thing to say. It bothers me that so many people seem to think that older and attractive can't go together...

Jill said...

I love ladies nights! Something about getting all gussied up and going out w/o kids and husband. Makes. My. Day!

Glad you had fun ...

Bijoux said...

I was thinking maybe he said that so you wouldn't think he was hitting on you!

lime said...

glad you had a chance for some fun even if some young buck popped a little bubble. ;)

Tonya said...

Girls nights are so fun! Glad you had a chance to go out :)

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson