Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Little Moments

Standing in front of school, picking up the little ones from their half day and chatting with the other moms, I suddenly feel a head on my shoulder and long, skinny arms wrapping around my waist.

"Hi mom." he says giving me a squeeze, his lunch bag bumping against my hip.

"Hi Joe!"  I practically shout at him, thrilled to see him so unexpectedly in the middle of his day.

"I love you, ma.  I miss you."  he says with the same sweet smile he had as a baby and the same huge, round, sky blue eyes.  I make a mental note of his face at this exact moment, sun shining on his white/blond hair, and can't help but see how close he is to catching me in height.

"Aww, honey!  I'm so happy to see you!  Thank you for coming out here to say 'hi'.  That is so nice!  I miss you too!"  I tell him as I try to convey just how delighted his little visit has made me and just how much I treasure these moments I still get from my big ole fourth grader.  I squeeze him again and again, even kiss the top of his head, amazed that he is not embarrassed by the affection in front of a crowd.

He buries his head into me and hugs me hard one last time.

"Okay.  I'll see you later, mom.  Love ya!" he calls over his shoulder as he makes his way back into the school.

"Have a good day, honey!  Love you, Joe!" I call back to him.

He turns one last time on the way up the steps, turns around, and waves.  Still smiling.


12 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Love it.

Unknown said...

Oh no, you did not just make me cry with this! Oh, but you did!!

So sweet.

ewe are here said...

Awwww.... lovely boy you're raising over there. :)

Tabor said...

YOU are one of the richest women that I know!

Rima said...

Oh, my gosh. This post just made my day! LOVE IT!

Cyndy Bush said...

I'm all teary!! Love love love.

Tricia said...

Such a perfect story. So glad you wrote this one down, you will want to read it again and again.

Anonymous said...

Yep. Those little moments are precious.

Unknown said...

That was so sweet!!! I love moments like that!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a sweet moment in time with such a sweet boy! Loved this.

Mom24 said...

Very sweet. Jacob and I still sit and snuggle every night before bed. I love it!

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Kinda makes it all worth it, doesn't it sweetie???

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson