Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bring On Summer

This past weekend up north was the most fun we've had at the cabin in a long time. A very long time. Just about everything seemed to go well.

The ride up was long. Tommy refused to sleep at all and Grace only slept a half an hour and then cried for the last 40 minutes of the trip. Then she fell asleep when we were five minutes away from the cabin. Go figure. Still, the kids were all well behaved considering their lack of sleep and even obliged me in trying to get my new header pic the minute we arrived.

We got quite a few good pictures but decided to try again that night so that we could have a pretty sky as the backdrop. After we got back from dinner at the kids' favorite bar/restaurant we took a few more pictures and found a winner. See the new header? I'm liking it.

That night the kiddos went to sleep really well. I was wiped out and in bed by 10:00 and so happy when I was able to get a decent night's sleep. And then an energetic little fellow decided to wake me bright and early at 5 a.m. I couldn't figure out what the loud, metallic tapping sound was until later that morning when I followed the noise.

I found this confused little guy: Can you see him on top of the METAL roof of the wood shed? How about on top of this METAL boat? See him?Here is a better picture. It is Woody the Woodpecker of course! Not sure why he thought he could get his breakfast from metal, but the sound sure was annoying at 5 in the morning.

After listening to Woody for far too long I dragged myself out of bed and woke the boys up. Breakfast at the cabin is very special because they are allowed a treat that they very rarely get. Bakery! Of course I had to give them each a banana and milk with their bakery so that I wouldn't feel too guilty about the sugar overload. The boys happily scarfed down breakfast, got dressed, and headed outside.

The boys went down to the water's edge to chat about the day's plans as daddy drank his coffee. The day would include putting the pier in, fishing, and a bonfire. The boys' perfect day.


Soon it was time to get to work. The boys tried to be patient as daddy got the pier ready. Grace finally woke up from her 14 hour slumber and decided all of that sleep (and the 90 degree heat) made her sleepy so we spent much of our time on the swing. And it made her even sleepier.

Todd (and his dad and a family friend) got to work on the pier while the boys waded in the warm water looking for rocks and minnows.
The ladies cheered them on from the cushy blanket in the shade.

As soon as the pier was in the boys wasted no time getting their fishing poles. Daddy attached their bobbers (no hooks or bait just yet) and off they went to practice their casting. They were on that pier from morning until night.

Literally. Morning until night.

Somehow we managed to get the boys inside to eat and sleep but early the next morning they were out on the pier casting again.

I'd say it was a pretty successful weekend. Not only did I get my header pic, the boys got to cast night and day, the weather was hot and perfect, we roasted tons of marshmallows, and got plenty of vitamin D and precious sleep, but Grace also taught herself to crawl. AND, we got back home safe and sound to enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day weekend with a parade, lots of bike riding, and planting my garden.

It is weekends like these that bring that rosy glow of summer into focus. I can feel it's warmth. I can smell the suntan lotion. I can taste the watermelon and blueberries and cherries. I can hear the lawn mowers running all day long and the children playing in the distance. I can see the evening sunsets getting peachier and later.

Yes, summer is almost here. And, thanks to this weekend, I can hardly wait.

30 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a beautiful way to begin the summer! Those photos are all just gorgeous, and your little sleepyhead/crawler is pretty as can be.
I love your new header!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

What a great way to spend the summer. You are really great at taking pictures.

I'm following you from Friday Follow. I love your blog.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

chrissy said...

Just lovely, So sweet and so beautiful. I hope your summer is more and more of the same.

chrissy said...

Just lovely, So sweet and so beautiful. I hope your summer is more and more of the same.

Jessa said...

Looks like a great weekend! Makes me miss trees, grass and water a bit.

Mom24 said...

I LOVE the new header! Great job.

Your weekend looks so perfect. I'm glad you had that special time.

MamaB said...

The header is fantastic! What a wonderful weekend! It really makes me miss the midwest with the green and trees. Yay to Miss Grace for starting to crawl! Oh and hubby...meow what a hottie!! Lucky girl!

Unknown said...

Perfection. All of it. ESPECIALLY that new header pic. :)

Hilary said...

It looks like you had a perfectly wonderful time. How I want to get back to the cottage.. soon, I hope. Your header is perfect!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Love, Love, LOVE the new header!

Thanks for a glimpse of summer-on-the-horizon. This California girl is still battling rain. (And even hail and snow!!) Today the sun shines and I have hope. Your delicious post reminded me of watermelon, cherries, and marshmallows. THANK YOU!
: D

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Loving the new header. And, it sure sounds like a fabulous weekend.

Brenda L. Greenwald said...

YEAH! Four little children in your top photo! I just love watching your family grow and enjoy such happy memories together!

Brittany said...

OHHH that looks like SO much fun! :) And look at that cute new header!! LOVE it ALL! :)

Lisa said...

sounds like a great weekend. and I noticed the new picture immediatly - beautiful!!!

ewe are here said...

Hooray for the new header!

And bring on summer ... what a great start you've had!

Karen MEG said...

Your new header is gorgeous Kat!
What a wonderful weekend - it looks so beautiful, your cabin. There's nothing like spending family time away like that ... I can't wait for summer either ... counting, counting... :)

Rima said...

Aw, it's good to see Gracie in the banner! very nice pic. I'm glad the weekend was a hit. That's a nice cabin you have there!

Sara said...

What a great weekend! And the new header is perfect!

Cassie said...

I love the new header! It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. That is such a great tradition for you all.

dawn klinge said...

I absolutely love the new header pic! Your weekend sounds so wonderful. Yes, bring on summer!

Lindsay said...

OMGoodness - seriously - there is NOTHING BETTER than super calm, sunny days at the lake. Nothing. Those pics are beautiful! And boy she's getting so big!!

Cyndy Bush said...

Sounds like a great weekend! WTG Grace on crawling! I love her in brown, what a cute outfit.
LOVE the new header!

Jeni said...

Seems to me that Gracie's sleeping habits over the weekend show that she's learned the best way to enjoy things -"Lazing at the Lake!" I can't think of a better thing to do than enjoy the outdoor air and taking naps then too. Love the pics you posted of the boys and the pier too -good experience for them to learn about the water and fishing.

Allison said...

Looks and sounds like a glorious and peaceful weekend.

painted maypole said...

wonderful. love the new header... i stand with my legs crossed like that all the time. ;)

we have a local woodpecker who often pecks at the metal around our (and neighbors!) chimney.

and gracie is crawling! fun!

Emily said...

Definitely sounds like one of those great summer weekends. And am lovin' the new header.

Jill said...

Oh I DO love your new header... how fun, fun, fun!!

What a fabulous weekend.

Not Your Aunt B said...

All of the photos were lovely but I love the new header! And the photos of Miss Grace- she is beautiful. It looks like such a wonderful way to enjoy the summer with the family. I long for a cabin too!

CC said...

Amazing! I"m soooooo jealous!

Riahli said...

Wow, that sounds wonderful...what an amazing weekend!! :) And she's crawling!! And you got your gardening in...does it get any better then that? I am so excited for summer too...we are not having such nice weather around here though, so sad. Soon I hope.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson