Friday, June 11, 2010

PSF- Rush, Rush, Rush

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli

This past week has been a gush of activity. Typical of the last week of school we have been busy with school picnics, plays, reports, projects, bake sales, and carnivals. School supplies have been amassed and brought home and are now scattered around my house. Yearbooks have been purchased and are in the process of getting the all important classmates' signatures. There have been a few late nights thanks to my forgetfulness and subsequent scrambling to make treats for a boy scout bake sale and yet more treats for the school picnic. I think I am done making treats for a while.

This morning I awoke to a big crash of thunder and a downpour of rain. One of my very favorite ways to wake up. Because of the storm it was unusually dark outside and even though I knew I should get out of bed I decided to take a few minutes to enjoy the stormy lullaby. I nestled down in my blankets and listened to the rain before the last-day-of-school madness broke.

Just like every other day this school year the morning was a rush. I rushed the boys through their breakfast. And rushed the boys to get dressed. Then I rushed to gather the garbage and recyclables for pick up. And I rushed through making Joey's lunch. Then I really rushed the boys into their jackets and backpacks and shoes because it was time to go.

And even though we were rushed and we were running a tad behind I just had to capture my boys on their very last day of 1st grade and 4K.
I begged Ben to get in on the picture but he was in his usual jovial mood he is always in when his brothers go off to school without him and he didn't want to participate.
I reminded him that next year when his brothers go off to 2nd grade and kindergarten he will be going to 3K. That made him feel a bit better.
But not much.

I have to get back on schedule now so that we can make it to the grocery store before Tommy's graduation ceremony at 10:50. Then it is another rushed lunch so that we can pile everyone back into the car to pick Joey up at school for an early release at 1:10. Rush, rush, rush.

I am very much looking forward to this summer. No schedules to keep. No place we HAVE to be. No more rushed mornings and rushed lunches. This summer (unlike last summer when we were busy building a house, selling a house, saying goodbye to my father, and having a baby) we will just BE.

The sky is getting lighter now. The sun is fighting to break through. The stormy rush this morning is soon to give way to sunny, summer and it's warm, breezey ways. And I can not wait.

12 comments:

MamaB said...

It does seem like we rush, rush, rush...I hope the day goes perfectly and you can enjoy this summer!

Emily said...

Funny how you wrote this today. We have had the slowest most fun day just playing in the pool by ourselves, lounging around, etc. No rush whatsoever and I've thought about a million times how it's been one of the best days we've had in a long while!
So glad summer's arriving for you.

Jessa said...

I know how you feel about the last day of school. I'll have a 4th and 2nd grader next year.

Lisa said...

we are loving the slow-pace of summer :) Hope you all do too!!!

Mom24 said...

That really is the most awesome thing about summer, isn't it? No rushing!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Boy does Ben look like Todd! Your boys are growing up so quickly.

I'll be glad to get into summer too-- we have another MONTH and some days to go :-(

Mona said...

That is the most beautiful family I ever saw!

Kat said...

Jeri- I KNOW!!! Ben does look a lot like Todd. Especially when he furrows his brow like that (I'm not kidding). So funny that you see it too! :)

Mona- Aww. Thank you!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

yeah for the slower paced summer days.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Jonathan starts Pre-K in the fall and it will be weird. But I'm glad you've got a summer to look forward to! so very exciting! So much fun stuff happens in the summer!

Hilary said...

I so remember those days. If you're anything like me, you'll love and cherish these lazier summer days.. .for a while.. then look forward to the school year with as much gusto as you had when looking forward to summer.

Cyndy Bush said...

I know you don't want to hear this...but your oldest son is looking SO grown up!!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson