Monday, June 28, 2010

More Than I Bargained For

This past weekend while Todd was away I took the boys to see Toy Story 3. Until two weeks ago the boys had never even seen the first two Toy Story movies, but once they did they were hooked. Knowing they would have a difficult time with daddy being up north cutting wood at the cabin without them (it was too stormy and buggy and dangerous) I figured it would be a good time to treat them to the movie.

We filed into our seats and began chowing on our popcorn and soda as the movie began. I was a bit worried about the boys being able to sit through all 109 minutes of the movie but the movie was so fun and so entertaining that before we knew it the movie was coming to a close.

And then there it was. The last ten minutes of the movie. Now, I had read reviews for the movie online. I had read articles like the one Owen Gleiberman wrote at ew.com, "Message to men: Yes, it's okay to cry at 'Toy Story 3'", and yet I was still completely taken by surprise. Perhaps because the when I read articles like the one above I got the feeling that everyone got choked up over the feelings of nostalgia. Of being a kid again. And of lost innocence. That's not what got me.

It all started when Andy and his mom walked into his almost empty bedroom to grab the last of his boxes before he leaves for college and Andy's mother says to him, "Oh Andy." and gives him a big hug. I nearly lost it. I had to bite the inside of my cheek as hard as I could to keep myself from sobbing out loud. I thought for sure I would loose it and let out a loud, choking, uncontrollable wailing, "Waaaa-ahhhh-ahhhh. GASP WAAAAAAA!" Joey looked over at me, my trembling mouth, and rested his head on my shoulder. It did NOT help me in holding back my sobs.

Finally, my ten minutes of emotional torture were over and I had to quickly dry my eyes and wipe the sweat off my face before we could get up and walk out of the theater.

On our way home I was trying to get my mind off of the heartwarming scene that was still floating around in my head. I was asking the boys how they liked the movie and which parts were their favorites. They were all eagerly giving me their reviews when Joey said, "Mom, why were you sad at the end? It was a happy ending. Movies always have a happy ending."

The minute I tried to speak my voice began to crack and break. It took me a while to try and regain my composure but I finally squeaked out, "It was hard for me to see the part when Andy had his room all packed up and was leaving for college because I don't want to think about my boys leaving for college just yet. Mommy, will (squeak) really (sniff) miss you guys."

And my dear, sweet, little Tommy said, "Don't worry mom. We won't grow up THAT fast."

And with that I was quietly sobbing so hard that all I could do was nod my head. Yes, honey, that is exactly how fast it goes. Slow it down, my babies. It is going by too quickly.

28 comments:

Doc said...

Interesting that you post this this morning because we took our 3 year old to Toy Story 3 yesterday and I had to wipe my eyes more than once when Andy was giving his toys to the little girl to "take care of" Very poingant.

cfoxes33 said...

I totally know where you are coming from. I have a 13 and 15 year old and they are way to grown up for my own good. How could a cartoon be that sweet?/ It was a great movie.

Jessa said...

Little does he know he's already grown up that fast. I really want to see TS3. Can't wait until it's on DVD or here on post. :) I know I'll cry. I can't believe they skipped ahead to Andy going to college.

Tammy said...

They do grow up way too fast. It was so sad for me this year when we sold most of our toys at a garage sale. ;( It was a good movie.

Brittany said...

Oh man, I sobbed, too! And just reading this post makes me want to cry again! ah... Such a good movie, though! :) And they do grow up TOO fast. Adam is only 4, and I feel like it's going too fast. sigh.

Jaysi said...

We saw the movie this weekend too, and I was crying too. They do grow so fast!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my Goodness, that's when I started to lose it too!!!! Seriously, EXACT same feelings.

The movie was really good but GAH...

MamaB said...

We are taking Amelia tomorrow after her three year check-up! My little bittle is three years old!!! I'm going to sob!

Jeni said...

Sure does give credence to that age-old expression, "Time flies" doesn't it?
The funny thing -to me -about time and it's super-sonic speed at times, is as a child, time never seemed to fly by. When my children came along, time never flew when I was dead broke, waiting desperately for my next pay check but in retrospect now, as I'm in my dotage and watching grandchildren grow now, I realize it flew by me all along and now, it is going by even faster than the super-sonic speeds I mentioned above. Best I can offer you with this dilemma is simply enjoy this time as much as is humanly possible! It really is an awesome time though to have the honor and privilege of watching one generation quickly turn into another new and even more exciting one, that much is for certain.

Mom24 said...

That's exactly why we won't be seeing it, at least not anytime soon. With Rebekah leaving in the fall, it would just be too hard.

Allison said...

I can't wait to see it. I am hoping to go this week with the kids since they come back from NJ today.

That is a great picture of you and your crew!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That is a great picture of you and your kiddos.

And, I'm sure I'd cry like a baby during the movie. I don't think Izzy would get it though..maybe we'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

tweetey30 said...

Isnt it amazing how the things we try to hide are coming from there mouths sooner than we want them too..

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oh Lordy, that's why I haven't gone to see that movie. My friends -most with kids soon to be going off to college-have told me all about what a tearjerker it is!
Here, have a Kleenex!
Hugs to you!

Karen Deborah said...

you are so sweet. It won't go by quite that fast you have a lot of time. The part that got me was when andy sat and played with all the toys with the adorable little girl. That was so cool. I had to go and see the movie too and I didn't have have any little kids for an excuse.

Riahli said...

You just made me laugh through tears...my favorite emotion (I know you weren't trying to be funny, it's just that I can sooooo relate to the trying to fight back tears so you don't start wailing thing). I'm thinking that I am definitely not brave enough to watch this one in the theater ha, ha!

Love the picture.

Tonya said...

The part that got me started was when the toys all grabbed hands in the fire. It was down hill from there.

Anonymous said...

Aw heck, the first 10 minutes of "Up" ripped me apart--thanks for the warning. I'll bring Kleenex!

Kat said...

Green Girl- Oh yeah. I blubbered like a baby at the Married Life montage in UP. Good thing I didn't see that one in the theater. Whew!

Amy Sullivan said...

I know! Why wasn't I warned before I saw this movie?

painted maypole said...

oh, yes. we went to see that yesterday, too (and as you know, I had already cried that morning. it was an emotional day all around)

Jill said...

OMG, I just saw the movie today with my 3 munchkins and I BAWLED... seriously couldn't stop the tears. I know what you mean.. oh do I know!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I warned you, didn't I? It's great, but MAN oh MAN did I have to choke back those tears...

Hilary said...

I won't lie to you.. it's all true. Enjoy these days. And remind yourself how much fun grandchildren will be one day. ;) I'm still hoping for that.

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness! I felt the same way... Totally wasn't expecting the ending and the tears that began to stream down my face! It goes so fast and I know it will feel like tomorrow that my boys are that grown up.

Cyndy Bush said...

I started tearing up all over again just reading this.
I watched that movie with all my kids - including my 17 year old son.
I was a puddle.

imbeingheldhostage said...

I had to hold my hands over my eyes for the last part of the post --we haven't seen it yet-- but THANK YOU for the warning. I sobbed like an idiot at "Up", I'd kind of like to be a little more prepared for this one. Stinking Disney messing with us like that...

Cara said...

I had exactly the same reaction! The end of the movie really got to me. Once I was looking at my 3 year old sitting on the couch with his feet hanging over the edge and thought, "one day his feet will touch the ground" - that made me cry.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson