Monday, September 24, 2007

Under Construction

Today we are beginning the tedious process of gutting our bathroom. It won't be quite as bad as when we remodeled our kitchen just a few months ago. That was a nightmare. We had no sink, no cabinets, the fridge was in the living room, and all 3 of the boys and I were sick. It might not sound that bad but imagine trying to get your three sick children to sleep through pounding and drilling while you try not to throw up or pass out. Not only that, but we have no bathroom on our main floor so every time someone wanted a sip of water or to wash off dirty fingers or dirty dishes (which is often) I had to run up or downstairs to the bathroom. You never know how often you use a sink until you don't have one.

Anyway, this won't be that bad, but I'm still not looking forward to it. It is the basement bathroom that is getting the makeover. It is our only shower and it is so nasty and disgusting we just couldn't take it anymore. The previous owners just threw the shower in there kinda half-ass, so we actually have to bust up the cement and reroute the pipes. We are also knocking down a wall to make the bathroom slightly bigger so this is no minor project. Should be interesting.

In the meantime, Todd and I will be "showering" in the claw foot tub upstairs. Mind you, we will have to be sitting when we shower as it is only a tub with a shower hose, but it will work. Todd bathed like that the whole time he lived in London so he will adjust fine. It will take a bit longer for me to get the hang of it I'm sure.

It will all be worth it in the end. We are going "all out" on the new bathroom. Neither of us have ever had a nice bathroom in all the different places we've lived. Our first apartment together was the worst. It was the upper of a house and the roof slanted in the bathroom right where the shower was so that you couldn't stand up straight. It was tiny too. Todd and I could not fit in the bathroom at the same time so I always got ready for work in the bedroom. Not only that but there was very little insulation in the roof and it would be freezing cold in winter and the walls would drip with moisture. It was always moldy no matter how much we cleaned it. It was bad. I wish I would have taken a picture because it is hard to comprehend the nastiness of it unless you see for yourself.

That is a good idea. I should take before and after pics of our bathroom. I forgot to do that with our kitchen. And since my lovely hubby ran out and bought me a new camera (to stop me from spazing out) I CAN do that.

No comments:

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson