Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six year ago today...

I was on my way to work when the DJ on the radio interrupted the song being played to announce that a plane had hit the one of the Twin Towers. The rest of the day was a blur. I think we might have had a total of 20 customers at the bank that day as everyone was glued to their tvs and radios. I suppose everyone remembers exactly where they were when they heard of the terrorist attacks. I know it is burned in my memory.

I had never even thought much about terrorism before that day. I never thought it would happen on US soil. As a matter of fact, when I heard about the first plane hitting the Twin Towers I actually thought it was probably a horrible accident. So naive. Not anymore. Now when there is an accident the first question on everyone's mind is, "was it a terrorist?"

As I was leaving work that night I remember feeling that if this could happen on US soil, anything could happen. I almost felt like the world was ending. It was like I was Chicken Little and the sky was falling. I never felt so unsafe.

And yet, good comes from tragedy. We as a nation had never been so bonded. Everyone was kinder, braver, and more generous. Have we lost a bit of that now? I certainly hope not.

On this sad anniversary, lets keep the victims, the soldiers, and our country in our prayers. Pray for a better world for our kids. Pray for peace.

1 comment:

Jenifer said...

It is important to remember and I certainly remember the day vividly. I was sitting at my desk with the radio on as usual and they broke in with the news story. I actually thought it was a story at first.

Starting a blog is fun...I have been blogging for nearly a year and started after finding Catherine's blog and clicking on some great blogs and was hooked.

It can be addictive though! I spend far too much time on my laptop, but it is good thing too. Check out Bub & Pie from my sidebar she was the first blogger I read and she is incredibly smart and funny.

Good luck with your blog, your boys are adorable.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson