Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Sun Shines

Today is a gorgeous fall day. The air is fresh and cool and the sun filters through the trees in long golden ribbons. With every gust of wind, red, brown, orange, and yellow leaves rain down from the trees in luminous sheets of vibrant colors, and make the day all the more magical. My sun room looks too comfy to ignore and as I wait for my next load of laundry to dry and my boys to wake from their naps, I set out a huge cushy blanket on the floor and curl up in the warm pools of light. I think I must have been a cat in a former life as this spot fits me perfectly. I can almost feel myself purr.

Just as I am about to drift into a soft, amber sleep I hear little feet and whispers at the top of the stairs. For a moment they stop, confused. I am spotted. I can tell by their hesitation that they are not sure whether to disturb the sleeping cat, so I open my arms as an invitation to share my sunny spot.

The footsteps quicken and all at once, I go from being a cat warm in her sunny spot, to a mumma cat with her kittens, warmed in her heart.

4 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Lovely. I hope you had a nice cuddle in the sunshine. There's no better way to spend an afternoon :)

Heidi

theflyingmum said...

Here's hoping you get that nap soon too!

Kellan said...

Kathryn - this was simply beautiful! Beautiful.

painted maypole said...

i waws just thinking the other day of how I missed lying in the sun, with an open window. i could do this all the time in California. The weather is rarely right for it here in Louisiana

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson