Whew! I've been gone for a while. But I have an excuse. Well, I honestly have a thousand excuses, and they are all good. Wanna hear them? Well, here they are anyway:
- My mom had open heart surgery last week to replace two of her valves. The surgery went perfectly and she recovered faster than anyone expected (especially considering that her cancer complicates things). I spent my a lot of my time driving the one hour plus down to visit her this past week, and yesterday I got to go and pick her up and bring her home. Hallelujah! She is SO HAPPY to be home where she can actually get some rest and recuperate. How anyone is supposed to get better in a hospital I will never know. Now my brother is staying with my mom at night and the rest of us kids are checking on her way too often. Thank you all for your prayers I can not tell you in words how much it meant.
- Ben got a double ear infection this past week. It was a doosey and it has temporarily affected his hearing. Poor kid. He is practically deaf. We have to yell everything at him. He probably doesn't understand why mommy and daddy are always yelling at him. Hopefully he will recover soon and not have another nasty cold for a while.
- Todd and Grace currently have nasty colds. Not fun.
- One of my very favorite uncles died this past week. Uncle Clarence lived in New York and I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with him as I would have liked. He was my father's brother, and the last time I saw him was at my dad's funeral. He spent the week here, and I am so grateful for the time I got to have with him. Such a wonderful man. He was so similar to my dad and they were very close. My cousin told me that the day my uncle passed away he said from his sleep, "Where is my brother?" It was the only clear thing they had heard him say all day.
- I have gotten a few migraines this past week or so. I wonder why? I have found that chewing Excedrin does keep the migraine at bay and it doesn't get as bad as it normally would. Tastes horrible, but it works so I'm sticking to it. Still, I think I might need to get myself to the chiropractor. That, or cut out some of the stress. Hmm. How do I do that?
- I think I may have to have the phone surgically removed from my face. I have been on it nonstop for the past few days giving updates on mom, info about my uncle, and general yucky stuff (doctor's appointments, getting mom's financial stuff in order, and school info, etc.). This is grand central station. The phone is constantly ringing! AH!
- I gave the boys haircuts and they look so handsome
! I hadn't realized how shaggy they had gotten until I cut their hair and now I can see their gorgeous little schmoopee faces. They look great! Even Grace had her bangs cut. She didn't like that. At. All.
- I have a ton of Christmas shopping to do yet. Oops. Been kinda busy. Guess it is coming up faster than I thought.
- Joey and Tommy have their Christmas concert at school tomorrow. That's all I have to say about that.
- Each school child of mine (that's three) have Christmas parties and secret santas I have to shop for too. And Joey has a nativity play that his class will be putting on in a week and he needs a costume for. Oh dear baby Jesus, can't I just celebrate your birth quietly and respectfully without running around like a chicken with my head cut off? *sigh*
- Oh and by the way, we had a MASSIVE snow storm during all this madness. It was not only a fair amount of snow but severely cold and WINDY. It was crazy, and it made driving to the hospital to see my mom a real mess. This is the view from my front door.
This is the view from my kitchen window. Can you see anything? Me neither.
The pretty part of the backyard.
The fun part of the backyard.
And my dog seeing her first snowfall and wondering what is going on. Please note, she is standing on top of the snow because it was already pretty solid from being so freaking cold outside!
Yep. Life is wackadoodee. I half feel like I'm going crazy. And I don't suspect it will get much better anytime soon. But that's okay. This too shall pass. And soon I will be able to sit back, for at least a few minutes, and enjoy this beautiful holiday season with my family. I hope.