Sunday, October 9, 2011

Taking It In

Fall is all around us.  Take one step outside and you smell bonfires burning, fresh cut grass mixed with fallen leaves, and apples from the trees across the street.  Everywhere you look gold is in the air filtering through the trees.  All my favorite colors are covering every surface in reds, oranges, greens, yellows, and soft browns.  It is a beautiful time of year.  A time I love.  And a very good reason for my absence from bloggyland, and my computer in general.

It is not the only reason for my absence.  The transition from lazy, summer days to busy, fall schedules has been much more difficult to adjust to then I had anticipated.  Even Tommy, who was thrilled to finally be going to school all day, has had a hard time getting used to the long days and has called home from school "sick" a number of times simply because he is tired.  The combination of school, homework, sports (which are thankfully ending soon), meetings, clubs, and everything else has been a lot for everyone to take in.  But we are getting there, and I comfort myself knowing things will calm down soon.

This past week and weekend the weather was absolutely perfect.  We took as many opportunities to decompress as we possibly could.  We spent every waking minute outside (except when we were watching our amazing Wisconsin teams- Go Brewers! Go Packers! Go Badgers!  Woot woot!).  We took walks.  We chopped wood.  We went to the pumpkin farm.  We played football and baseball and soccer.  We drank cider and ate apples fresh off the trees.  We visited the farmer's market and our favorite parks.  We did whatever we felt like doing.  It was just the way I like to spend my fall days.  We drank it all in.  At the end of each day we were all completely exhausted, but in a good way. 
The boys have a four day weekend coming up, and you can bet that we are going to take full advantage of that as well.  I don't want a minute of this gorgeous fall to go by unnoticed.  There will be fishing and hiking and four wheeler rides.  Heck, I may even bake a pie.  With weather and nature at it's best the sky is the limit.

For now, my only agenda (other than the usual weekday crazy) is deciding which family picture I like best to put in my annual "Fall Family Picture" frame.  

1-  A nice shot, but a little further back than I usually have it.  When I zoom in more all you see is the hay bales and the background doesn't look so hot.  Still, a nice pic.
2- I like this background better, but Grace isn't looking, Ben looks ticked off, and Joey is holding an apple up in the air for some strange reason.  Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions.
So tell me, friends, how has fall been treating you?  Are you soaking it in or still trying to get the hang of schedules and school and craziness?  Let me have it. What makes fall special to you? 







Mommy and Me Monday at Really, Are You Serious?
Hosted by Krystyn at Really, Are You Serious?

16 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Love the pics!
What is this 'fall' you speak of? LOL Down here in Florida, fall is still being very elusive.

Mom24 said...

I love the pics too!

Fall's good. I love it, but I do wish the temps would break a bit, high 70's and 80 just don't say fall to me.

Unknown said...

Fall? It's Fall? Oh, I didn't know... ;-P Despite a few cool days it just doesn't seem like it here yet.

I love that far off shot of you all in the midst of the farm. Looks like a beautiful day together for sure. :)

Riahli said...

I really like the one with the hay in the background... adorable.

I worked out in the yard today, getting every thing cleaned up and ready for the cold weather headed our way. I love the smell of fall, really I love everything about it. Fall colors are my favorite, one glance in my closet would tell that, haha! I love getting out the fall decorations too, so much fun. Can't wait until we head out to a pumpkin patch, hopefully next weekend...

Heather B. said...

Sure do wish it felt like Fall here!! We did at least get some much needed rain! Such cute pics!!!

Angela said...

I love the photos! Fall seems to have crept up on us here. The temperatures have dropped and the leaves are changing! I love the fall, I only wish it didn't mean that snow was around the corner.

Unknown said...

Great fall photos. I love all the Fall fun you are having. I love soaking up every bit of fall.

Anonymous said...

You know I hate fall, but this year between our teams and the phenomenal weather, I kind of like it. Weird.

Robyn said...

Love the photos. I've been diggin' the awesome fall we've been having. The weather I'm sure you'll agree has been so nice.

dianna said...

I miss fall colors SO much! *sigh* The air is getting a smidge cooler here and WOW...every year I feel this *awakening*. Heaven!
I love fall, but I miss the relaxed *no homework* nights of summer.

Kat said...

Dianna- Oh yeah. No homework. No schedules. I miss those days. Summer is definitely my favorite season.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Those are great family shots! So glad you had a nice weekend there.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Fall is, hands down, my absolute favorite season...for all the reasons you listed!

imbeingheldhostage said...

We didn't really get a Fall :-( or a summer for that matter. We had one gorgeous sunny week about 2 weeks ago and now it's cold and windy.

I like all three photos actually. And I especially like that not everyone looks happy or is looking at the camera. It adds personality.

Speaking of photos... we're keeping our options open for the Hubby's retirement coming up in just a few years and these pictures you post could have us landing in your neighborhood (better move now).

lime said...

the colors, LOVE the colors. it's like nature is tie dyed. and i love the snap in the air and being able to savor soup. i love to make a pot of soup and some bread and just slurp it up in font of a fire.

Kat said...

Lime- Ooooo. That sounds PERFECT!!! When can I come over? ;)

Hostage- Okay, if you moved to my neck of the woods I would SERIOUSLY FREAK OUT!!!! I can't tell you how excited I would be!!!!!! EEEEEEKKKK!!!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson