Thursday, March 20, 2014

Little Things

It's the little things that always help to snap me out of a foul mood. 

Little things like:

-Having an older choir member tell me that my children are beautiful and wonderfully behaved. And when I tell her the ages of my children after she asks and she says, "they're halfway to grown!" it tugs at my heart in such a way that I once again want to savor every moment I get with them.

-Walking into the living room and seeing Ben helping Grace learn to read.


-Going to Joey's athletic banquet and watching him receive the "most improved" award and listen to the coaches talk about his hard work and positive attitude.

-Listening to Ben read a very difficult reading in front of the whole school for mass.

-Tommy's complete and total excitement at his upcoming birthday. Even though we won't be going out to dinner he is more than willing to open his presents a day early so that we can leave for WI Dells immediately after school tomorrow.

-Joey staying up a little later than the other kids now that he is getting older. Even just fifteen minutes reading in his room is enough to make him feel mature and happy.

-Tommy telling me that the best gift for him is just having his family. Such a little schmoozer. Although he did finally admit that he is looking forward to a few presents as well.

-Sneaking up on the oblivious Joey and Tommy as they read their books after school.

-Being just as excited to go to WI Dells with my kids as I am to go to Mexico with my hubby.

-The first day of spring is here! It may not feel like spring just yet but I have hope that the warmer weather is just around the corner.

-Joey SCREAMING this morning when he saw the time, "MOM!!!! We're gonna be late!!!! I don't want a tardy!!! I've never gotten a tardy mark!!!" It makes me laugh so that my kids are such straight little arrows that the thought of a tardy mark absolutely freaks them out. I think I laughed the entire way to school as Joey panicked in the back seat. Thank goodness we got to school with time to spare or I fear his day would have been ruined.

-A warm bath in the middle of the day.

-Grace and I watching Beauty and the Beast and when Gaston tries to bribe Belle into marrying him I say, "Boy, that Gaston is nasty!"
Grace responds, "Yeah. I wouldn't marry him! I'd just go back in my house and get my shotgun!" 
Ha! That a girl, Gracie!

-Homework free days.

-The first cup of coffee in the morning.

-The birds at my feeders growing more and more colorful as the weeks go on.

-Snuggles with littles.


Tonight we will have pizza and cake with the grandmas to celebrate Tommy's birthday and tomorrow our spring break will be in full swing.

Life is good.

There are so many little things to be thankful for and I'm always grateful for reminders. What are you thankful for?

5 comments:

Tabor said...

Right now I am thankful that I came to your blog to read after an hour working in my garden. Today is spring here and I am out of shape on the bending and pulling part.

Bijoux said...

I'm thankful for a spouse who loves and appreciates me everyday and for children who've turned into responsible adults.

Have a fabulous trip. I remember going to the Dells with my parents...mainly the boat tide.

betty said...

Lots of thankfuls you have! I hope your travels are all great ones in the week ahead!

betty

Anonymous said...

Your list makes me smile--Mexico with your husband! How swell!
And I remember the first time you left the kiddos for that kind of vacation and how nervous you were. I'm glad you two are off again together.

Kat said...

GG- I am still that nervous every time I leave them. That's why we don't' leave them very often. I make myself sick with worry. I am just attempting to ignore it this time. ;)

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson