Friday, May 8, 2015

All Is Well

I sit on the back patio contemplating more flowers, new cushions, and perhaps a small water fountain. I picture where I'll place the plants, what I'll use for the fairy house this year, perhaps new tiki torches. I plan out my eden. I dream and plot and soak in the warm sun.

I finally swapped cotton sheets for the flannel sheets that have been on the beds since fall. There are few chores I loathe as much as changing sheets on bunk beds, but I still couldn't be too upset since this was the spring swap and yet another sign of warmer temperatures. Each night as I slip into the crisp coolness of the sheets visions of summertime fun dance in my head.

Today, I washed all the screens and put them in the windows. Every single window in the house is open and the smell of freshly cut grass wafts throughout.

It is May and a sunny 74 degrees. I will not take that for granted. I sit outside as often as I can, which is not as often as I'd like.

I grab my book, sit on the back patio, and read and dream away my free time. The 20 minutes go quickly and soon the boys are bounding through the door home from school.

Though our extreme busyness has abated, somewhat, we are still in the midst of the end of school year mania. The kids all had their spring concert at school last night. It was funny and fun and high spirited. I truly enjoyed the evening.

This morning Grace's class had a little preMother's Day celebration. Muffins with Mom, they call it. Grace gave me her sweetly and tenderly made gifts and we enjoyed our muffins and juice together. Afterwards the whole school walked over to church to say the rosary together for the May Crowning celebration.

When that was done Grace got up in front of church and read two paragraphs about Mary. Quite a feat for my little kindegartener (especially with phrases like "Mary arranged some roses in Juan's tilma on Tepeyac Hill" in the reading). Last week when Grace's teacher sent the reading home Grace had a mini meltdown worrying about how she would be able to read so much in front of so many people. She practiced day and night and her hard work paid off. She did a wonderful job. She was so proud of herself. I was proud too.

Yes, the kids are barreling towards the end of the school year. Large last minute projects are being finished up and field trips are being taken. It is a lot to keep up with but at least I am not feeling as desperate as in years past. At least this year I am not the "world's worst end of school year mom" again. Yes, I am doing much better this year.

This weekend I have one last concert of the season. We've had three rehearsals this week, another tonight, and the concert is tomorrow. Then, and only then, will life begin to slowly slow down.

Or maybe not.

I have to chaperon a trip to the zoo on Monday. And there are projects due. And meetings. And helping out at school.

Perhaps in a month when school is out life will finally slow down.

Not that I'm complaining.

Life is good.

Life is as it should be.

All is well.


6 comments:

Tabor said...

You will survive and as they get older, things will not be so busy as they will be able to drive themselves here and there and you will wonder what on earth you can to with all that free time, but by then you will have this very demanding garden in the back yard!

betty said...

Always good when all is well :) Can't believe the school year is winding down!

betty

Bijoux said...

May is probably my favorite month, for many of the things you stated. Enjoy!

Blogoratti said...

Life's good all the way. Have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I really like the satisfied vibe in this post. You are a woman with her game face ON and all your ducks in a row:)

nbrsspot.blogspot.com said...

I cant wait for summer time and such. glad you are doing so well.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson