Friday, September 27, 2013

Enjoying It While It Lasts

Someday, my dear children, I will have to remind you of this.  

Someday, Joey, I will remind you how mad you would get when you would come home from school to discover that dad had cut the grass without you.
Someday I will tell you boys how you used to fight over who got to cut the lawn. 
There were even arguments over who got to cut more grass.
Tears were even shed if one of you did not get enough lawn cutting time.  Time with the mower was closely monitored for fairness.
Two days after the grass had been cut you begged to cut the grass again.  Each day you'd offer to cut the still short grass.  When you finally did cut the grass again you did a careful job so that you would be the one chosen next time.
Someday I will remind you, Ben, how you cried and cried when we said that you weren't quite old enough to cut the grass yet.  To demonstrate your maturity, and to prove us wrong, you cleaned up all the grass clippings with the broom and the blower.
Never to be left out, Grace, you want in on the work as well. After deciding the brooms and blower were too big and awkward you took the dustpan and picked up the grass clippings by hand.  

Yes, I will have to remember this.  I'll take photos as proof.  I will treasure all of your enthusiasm now because I know it won't last forever.  And someday, when you are busy teenagers, I'll remind you how much you loved cutting the grass.


9 comments:

Cyndy @ Back in the Bush said...

So funny!
I actually like push-mowing, too.

Riahli said...

Okay this made me cry, sweet little helpers!!!

Tabor said...

What wonderful children to want to please you so much. Love it!

Bijoux said...

I don't remember my children ever wanting to do yard work!

dawn klinge said...

Awwww....I love it! You've got such sweet kids. My son is begging to learn how to cut the grass.

lime said...

smart mama to document it all now!

Anonymous said...

I need to get my kids to fight over chores like that.

Kat said...

Green Girl- They fight over doing the dishes too. Probably because I don't really let them much yet. Which is dumb. I really should let them. I just like things done my way, and it is faster. Still, I should start letting them I suppose.

Anyway, I wish I could get them to fight over putting their clothes away or keeping their rooms clean (or picking up toys). ;)

Hilary said...

Wow.. you're doing something right. See if you can make that last!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson