Friday, April 23, 2010

The Birthday Curse

PhotoStory Friday

It happens every year. Every. Single. Year.

We used to schedule a nice night out for my birthday. We would make reservations at one of my favorite restaurants, scan the papers for a good movie, and make sure we had a sitter for the kids. And every year the inevitable would happen and we would have to cancel it all because one or more of the kids got sick. Even on my thirtieth birthday I couldn't escape the curse. I was up all night holding puke bowls under both of my kiddos faces.

After years of this scenario playing out we stopped making plans for my birthday.

So, it was no surprise when Joey woke up yesterday and said that his tummy hurt. He was moaning and crying so hard he couldn't even wolf down his cereal as he normally does. When he is not able to eat (the kid is a bottomless pit!) I know something is really wrong so I kept him home from school. Still, part of me was suspicious that he really just wanted to stay home to watch the landscapers whiz around our backyard in a Bobcat as they leveled out the ground and planted all of our grass and new trees.

Throughout the day Joey seemed to feel better and better though he still had stomach pains from time to time. The day was going pretty well. My mother-in-law brought me these:
A very favorite of mine. Chocolate covered raspberries! Mmmm.

My mom made me my favorite. Carrot cake! It is practially health food!
Everyone made my birthday special and it turned out to be a great day. My best friend even sent me a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant so Todd ran out and got some take out for us after the boys were in bed. Add in Survivor, The Office, 30 Rock, and a little Captain and Coke and was a relaxing and fun birthday. And I didn't even get puked on!
Cut to this morning. Joey was feeling fine. He ate most of his cereal. Got ready for school. Told me that his tummy hurt a little but that he was fine. Off to school he went.

An hour later I got a call from school. Joey just puked all over one of his classmates. Poor kid. Both of them. I don't know who I feel sorrier for. Joey, for being the kid who puked in class, or his friend for getting puked on.

*sigh*

Joey is at home now. Resting comfortably and watching the landscapers finish the yard. When he is feeling better this weekend I think we will run out to the store and pick up a little gift for his classmate. Kind of a "Sorry I puked on you" present. I think she deserves it for taking my place in the birthday curse.

35 comments:

Adlibby said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry for the little puker and pukeee... but it was nice that he waited a day out of respect. ;)

Hilary said...

I'll bet you adore your mother in law! Yum.. and your Mom of course. :)

As for the pukee, best make it something non-edible because if that was a viral puke, he's sure to be next.

Happy Birthday, dear Kat. :)

Kristen said...

Oh how I love the idea of the sorry I puked on you gift! :) Too funny, but yes appropriate gift!

So glad that you had the perfect birthday and that the curse was finally broken!

Emily said...

Oh no. I'm laughing but I do feel bad for you, Joey, and his classmate. I hope no one else gets the tummy bug!

Kat said...

Kristen- That's just it. The curse was not broken, tho I didn't get puked on, Joey was still sick enough on my bday that we couldn't go anywhere. No big deal tho. It was still a good bday. ;) And at least I didn't get puked on. Poor little girl.

Emily said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!!

Cassie said...

Aww I'm glad you guys could make the best of it. And I'm glad you didn't get puked on! I've never had chocolate covered raspberries, I'll have to see if I can find some of those around here.

painted maypole said...

hmm... does Hallmark make a card for that?

Kelly said...

That is too funny! We have a birthday/anniversary going on this weekend. No plans at all. I hope no one pukes and ruins things around here : )

Good luck on preventing the spread!

Kat said...

PM- HAHA! My SIL and I were just talking about trying to find a Hallmark card that says that. I think Joey wants to make his own card anyway. The little girl was so nice to him about it (even tho the rest of the class was laughing :( ).

Mom24 said...

That's a great picture, you look fabulous! Hope everyone feels better soon.

My MIL wouldn't even send a card for my birthday, glad yours did better.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Oh no! Boo! We have a Christmas curse much like your birthday curse. It does sound like you had a lovely birthday. I love the photo- such a great family. Happy Birthday!

lime said...

sorry. i got lost at "chocolate covered raspberries."

Anonymous said...

Poor kid. I hope he feels better. It looks like you made the best of your special day with everyone anyway. And I think you are so so so nice to get a little "sorry I puked on you gift" for that kid.

Tonya said...

Happy Birthday a day late! Poor Joey and his classmate.

Kelly said...

Oh no, not a good ending for the story! At least your birthday was pretty good, it was just the day after..............

dawn klinge said...

Oh no! I couldn't help but giggle at the thought of a "sorry I puked in you present". Sad, gross, and funny all at the same time. I hope Joey feels better soon.

cfoxes33 said...

Yes, carrot cake is practically health food. Yummy! I found you on Friday Follow. Now I follow. I hope you have a chance to visit me!

casey aubut said...

Happy Birthday!!
I am your newest follower from Friday Follow!
I would love for you to stop by and follow me too! :)
www.aubutfamily.com

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

What a wonderful birthday, and WTG on escaping the curse! And passing it on to that poor unsuspecting little girl was genius. ha!!

Tracie said...

Awwww a "sorry I puked on you present" I think that is definitely in order!

I'm glad that your birthday was wonderful!

Summer said...

Your kids are just precious! I am glad you had a fab birthday even if it did have um puke involved ha!

Your blog is just precious! I am now a follower! Have a great weekend
xoxo
Summer :0)

Serline said...

Happy Birthday! I share the same experiences and can totally empathize. Enjoy your precious family...

Stephanie said...

Oh my! Well, first, Happy Birthday! :)

I hope your household doesn't all get the sickness. I can't believe the luck on each of your birthdays. Crazy!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Happy birthday, Kat.

It sounds like a pretty good birthday celebration for you. Sometimes staying in with the luxuries of outside help (to go food and desserts) are just as nice as going out.

Although, the puking probably doesn't make it quite as fun!

Scarlet of Moms Wear Your Tees said...

Happy Birthday. I hope he is feeling better. A present sounds like it will be in order!
Following from FF!
I'd love it if you stop by my blog at http://www.momswearyourtees.blogspot.com
and follow if you like it.
Thanks,
Scarlet

tweetey30 said...

Happy belated B-day.. I am sorry to hear the kids get sick on your b-day.. They must sense you want time alone..LOL... They are so lovely though..

I remember getting sick all over a friend of mine when I was Kora's age adn she is nine.. So I know what its like.. Hopefully this class mate is ok with the present..

Jill said...

Happy happy birthday to you!! Glad you enjoyed a great birthday... so sorry about the aftermath with the munchkin!

MamaB said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! I hope the weekend was way better!

Jeni said...

Oh my! Poor Joey and the poor other little kid too. That's something that can't really be controlled for -or at least not very well -and it can, usually is, so darned embarrassing to everyone concerned too!
Hope he's got it all out of his system now and the kids can start making plans for your next birthday illness fest, can't they?
(Oh, and Happy Birthday -a bit late, but who knew?)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Kat, how did I miss it?! Where the heck was I that I forgot to come over and sing? I am so sorry Joey got ill. Poor little guy :-(

Unknown said...

First, I'm sorry for laughing. Okay, now that that is out of the way...

OH NO! I'm so sorry he got sick and on his friend!

It sounds like you still had a pretty good birthday though! :)

Michelle Faith said...

Gosh No Kidding!! The same thing happens to me all the time. Just last week all the kids got hit with a sickness my oldest asthma was going crazy...and I was to leave for my Womens retreat. Thank God they all were on the mend when friday came.
Blessings. :)

CC said...

Happy belated bday!!!! I usually go to work for my bday. Great.

I'm about 11 months older than you my friend. ;)

kanishk said...

it was nice that he waited a day out of respect.
indian classified site

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson