Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm Not Afraid!

Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. And even though I posted my age on my "bad" list yesterday the truth is that it really doesn't bother me. To me age is just a number. Turning 30 didn't bother me and turning 40 most likely won't bother me either. Just numbers. Really. It has caught me a bit off guard that I am at the 33 year marker already because I feel much more like 23, but how you feel seems to be much more important than the actual number anyway, and I still feel like a kid.

Nope. I'm not afraid of getting older. Maybe because I'm not afraid of loosing my good looks. I never claimed to be good looking in the first place, so that isn't a big worry. Not much to loose. Haha! I actually feel much more confident about myself now than I did at 16 anyway. So maybe my age is working in my favor in that department.

Perhaps I'm not afraid of getting older because I don't think getting older equals death. I mean, on a certain level I guess it does. But my sister died when she was almost 9 years old and so I grew up knowing that death can come knocking at any time. It isn't an age thing to me. Nothing to fear there.

Nope. Birthdays are just another day. I'm not really a whole year older than the day before. Just another day. No big deal. Now if I woke up tomorrow and I was suddenly 78 years old? Well, then that would be depressing. But I suspect that I will only age one day at a time, which leaves me plenty of time to enjoy and many more fun times to look forward to.

Tomorrow is already looking good. The predicted snowfall for today turned out to be a false alarm. I looked out the window this morning and saw green grass. Yay! And tomorrow the weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid-fifties. Woohoo! PLUS, my mom called and said she is making me my favorite chiffon cake with cream cheese frosting. Does it get better than that? I think not. AND, I get a birthday wish. Can you guess what I'll be wishing for? I mean, I said I wasn't going to post about it anymore, and you aren't supposed to talk about your wishes anyway, but I bet you can guess. It rhymes with "bell our mouse".

And look at this!
Shauna sent me a birthday gift last week. Isn't that so sweet? A bookmark, a memo pad and pen, and a photo album (that I couldn't get in the picture because the boys have already stolen it to use as a wallet). So nice. Thanks, Shauna!

I think this birthday is also easy on me because I really love my life. I am exactly where I've always wanted to be. I've got the yummy hubby, three fabulous boys, and a baby on the way. I've never actually been pregnant on my birthday before so that feels like a gift in itself. Life is good. And I think my 33rd year will bring even more wonderful times. And some hard, trying times too. But having another birthday just means getting to be here for it all. And that is the important part. I'll gladly and gratefully add another year on.

23 comments:

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

Happy Birthday. Love your outlook! I feel exactly the same way, but couldn't have written it as eloquently.

Homegrown Tribe said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

britt

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns! I think your attitude is fantastic--I hope I have it when I turn 40 (30 was pretty easy for me).

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Well, what a great outlook!

And, have a very happy birthday!

Tammy said...

Cheers to your 33rd Birthday! I've tagged you...come check it out. :)

Unknown said...

You have such a wonderful attitude about it and I try to be that way too. It is just a number, not really a feeling. 33 was a great year for me and it's looking to be an excellent one for you as well.

I find that interesting that you've never been pregnant on your birthday! I've been anywhere from 12 weeks to 39! : )

Have a great day tomorrow!

Momisodes said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. I love your outlook on age. Sounds like you really are exactly where you want to be.

Jeni said...

You are so right that birthdays are just another number! Well, for the most part anyway. The only time I feel my age these days (and sometimes, I confess the way my joints ache and creak on me, I feel like I am maybe 85 going on 300) is when I think I can still do everything that I used to be able to do. My mind has yet to catch up with my body in the aging department. Maybe that's a good thing in that if I do get really childish as I age, it will take folks (and me too) a lot longer to figure that part out. Do ya think that might be the case? Anyway, Happy Birthday, many more and always keep trying to think like you're still only 20 or 25 or some number that sounds really good in your mind.

Cyndi said...

You look great for your age! Haha! Just kidding! You look amazing. I hope I look that good when I am your age. Oh, I crack myself up!

I hope you have a great birthday and your wish comes true!

Anonymous said...

I am with you. I don't miss being 16 at all!

Hoping 33 is an amazing year for you.

painted maypole said...

so glad you were born!

And Im so pleased to hear that you're going to "tell your spouse" (now that sounds like a whole different sort of thing, doesn't it? ;)

dawn klinge said...

Happy, happy Birthday! I love your attitude. :)

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday, I hope your day is wonderful and I wish I could have some of that chiffon cake, whoa does that sound good!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday!!! Yummy cake! And good for you for taking it well...I was a mess when I turned 30 a few weeks ago!

Scrappy said...

Happy birthday! I hope all of your boys spoil you rotten!

historygirlie said...

Happy Day! I hope it's great!

I wish I had your bravery....I hit 30 soon and it's freaking me out a bit. I hope I find your serenity regarding age soon!

Indy said...

Have a great birthday! Sounds like you have the right outlook on birthdays.

Shauna said...

You are very welcome! I hope you have a wonderful Birthday! Please come over to my blog tomorrow for a little surprise for you :)
♥ HUGS ♥

Shauna said...

Okay it is posted now :)

Kelley said...

Happy birthday, Kat. I hope it is a wonderful one for you. That chiffon cake with cream cheese frosting sounds terrific!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Happy Birthday Kat!

Maggie's Mind said...

Yay for you, and Happy Birthday. I hope you "smell the louse." :)

lime said...

glad to know you;'re feeling content. you are blessed and wise to recognize it. :)

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson