Saturday, April 29, 2017

They Know Me So Well... Kind of

I am not a morning person. I need a good amount of coffee to get myself moving in the morning. And I'm still not particularly chatty even after I've had my coffee. Because I am not a morning person I do not really enjoy eating breakfast. It just seems to sit in my stomach like a rock so early in the morning. As a matter of fact, I very rarely eat breakfast at all. If I have to eat something, maybe before a run, I will have a banana. I love breakfast foods, just not for breakfast. I am a conundrum.

Last weekend for my birthday the kids burst into my bedroom, at some ungodly hour, with a big tray of breakfast that they just made me. There was singing, and lights, and cameras, and all kinds of craziness while I was still only half conscious. It was quite the scene. I had all I could do to keep from laughing.

While it wasn't exactly how I pictured my birthday morning it turned out to be one of the most memorable birthdays I've ever had. The kids knew just how I liked my eggs, how light I prefer my toast, and how to prepare my coffee. Heck, they even brought me the crossword puzzle from the morning paper. They just temporarily forgot how much I liked my sleep in their haste to spoil me. And who could be upset about that? It was precious.

The rest of the day was more relaxing. I sat outside ALL DAY enjoying the unseasonally lovely weather. It was sunny and warm and my back patio was the perfect spot to sit and read my book. I barely moved all day. Every half hour or so one of the kids would come sit by me and ask me if they could get me anything. More coffee? Some ice water? A sandwich? They really were trying to make me feel special. It worked.

That evening Todd and I got spiffed up and went out to eat at one of our favorite restaurants. The food was amazing, as usual, and my chocolate martini was perfection. It was a fantastic birthday dinner. We finished the night at fundraising gala for our kids' school. I swear I am at some school event every year for my birthday (last year I was onstage with the boys for the school musical). It is becoming a habit. Not that I mind.

It was a very memorable birthday.
I hadn't asked for anything for my birthday but I received quite a bit. Lots of love and lots of spoiling. I am a lucky lady.



3 comments:

betty said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like such a wonderful day and so neat your kids knew how you liked your eggs, coffee, toast! Very observant they were!! Wishing you a great year ahead!

betty

Tabor said...

BEST BIRTHDAY ever. You are very lucky but it reflects your star as a parent.

Bijoux said...

So sweet! Happy, happy birthday!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson