Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Virtual Coffee

Photobucket

Right now I am sitting with my nice, hot cup of Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon Spice coffee that I just brewed.  I can hear my dishwasher running in the background and Gracie on the monitor.  She is just now waking up and is starting to sing to herself, "I love you maaaach!  I love you maaaaach!". 

Because Grace was a late riser this morning I was able to jump on the treadmill for a half an hour and get my run out of the way for the day.  I even had time to take a shower afterwards.  Now I am clutching my hot coffee in my hands trying to warm myself up.  Though it is nearing summer the weather around here still has not gotten out of the 50s.  My hair is wet and my feet are bare, it is like I am refusing to give in to the cold at this point.  The hot coffee helps.

If we were really having coffee this morning I would let you know that, yes, I did notice how the last five or six posts have all revolved around some kind of event or other.  First we had all three boys' birthdays in February and March.  Then it was my birthday in April.  Easter was a few days later and Joey's 1st Communion the following week.  Then it was Mother's Day and after that my anniversary.  It has been one thing after another and we've been busy.  Throw into the mix the end of school activities (school concerts, meeting, etc.) and we are getting fried.  I'll be oh so happy when school comes to an end.  Especially if it brings some really hot weather with it.
If we were having coffee you would have noticed the massive mound of dirt in my backyard.  The family room addition has begun.  And with it more activity and noise, and clutter, and craziness.  Yes, we just "built" this house less than two years ago but we have realized that when there isn't enough room for all of us to sit down in the family room now when the kids are small the situation will not get any better.  We knew that when we bought the house.  We even knocked down a wall to try and make the room a little bigger.  WHY we didn't think to just expand out right away, instead of tearing up our backyard and making life that much more difficult now, I will never know.  Regardless, it will be lovely when it is done.  The boys are THRILLED to watch the men working and pouring the cement for the frost wall and crawl space, but very much less than thrilled that they will not be able to play in the backyard for a long time.  Long enough for the project to be completed AND for the grass to grow back.  *sigh*

If we were having coffee I'd tell you how even though we've been incredibly busy I apparently don't mind it, and in fact, like to add to the madness.  This past weekend I got a huge fish tank (and about a dozen new fish) to replace my smaller fish tank.  Once the smaller fish tank was empty I decided that lovely tank shouldn't go to waste and thought perhaps it was time for the kids to have yet another pet.  The tank now makes a lovely home for our new pet hamster, Pip (or Hammy, or Ricky Bobby, or Frank, we haven't really decided yet).  "Now all we need is a cat!" Joey told me.  Good thing I'm allergic to cats otherwise I'd probably run right out and get a cat too.

If we were really having coffee this morning I would have to excuse myself to get Gracie up.  Change her.  Feed her.  Start the laundry.  And then I'd really have to go because it would be time to get Ben from school.
Ah well.  Virtual coffee will have to do for now.  Hope you have a lovely day!

14 comments:

Mom24 said...

I miss having friends here to have coffee with. For whatever reason, it just doesn't happen.

So, it's lovely having coffee with you. :)

I know how much you will enjoy the family room when it's done. Congrats.

Sounds like your day's off to a lovely start. Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

Yummmm...I love the CInnamon Spice and I have some here too!

You have been a busy, busy girl and my brain is whirling just reading all of that!

That's awesome you will have a family room addition, but a bummer about the yard being torn up. It will all be worth it when it's finished though! Can't wait to see pics!

Claire said...

lovely to share coffee with you and see a glimpse of your life - thanks for sharing :)

Scrappy said...

Gotta love those crazy, busy days! It will be so nice to have more room. When my husband tells me we don't need a bigger house I remind him that in a few years our boys will all be the same size he is. And imagine if they all bring a friend over! Whew!

Tonya said...

thanks for the coffee! I so dread construction when we remodel our kitchen.

Allison said...

Our weather has been just as wierd...but I am not complaining. 60s and 70s with light breezes as opposed to 80s and 90s with humidity is just fine with me! I know our 100 degree days are just around the corner.

Grace is getting so big and just precious!

Anonymous said...

I'm raising my virtual coffee cup to you right now in admiration of how you're keeping it together in the midst of such craziness!

Tabor said...

Perfect and precious are all your chaotic days.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Ugh, stupid blogger deleted my comment.

So nice having coffee with you.

And, because I'm behind, but read in my reader...Happy Mother's Day! Happy Anniversary and Happy First Communion to Joey! All such special things to celebrate.

Riahli said...

What a project! We are taking out our pond for more yard space and I thought that was a big deal, but what you are doing is on a much bigger scale I do believe! It will be nice when it's all done I'm sure. Grace is adorable. :)

Hattie said...

Wow y'all have been busy!!! I know the feeling all too well. Love the pic of Grace, she's getting so big!!

historygirlie said...

I enjoyed the coffee break. Love Gracie with the banana....brave Mumma! If I gave my girlies a banana on some furniture other than the kitchen table, we'd have enough mashed banana for a loaf of bread! They are not ladylike eaters yet..... :)

chrissy said...

I love this post. So nice having "coffee" with you. Good luck with the building project.

Suldog said...

I very much enjoyed the virtual coffee clatch. Thank you! The weather here has been horrendous. Rain for six days straight. I've had four softball games rained out. I'm getting both fat and moldy.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson