Monday, January 26, 2015

Monday, Monday

It was one of those mornings. The kind of morning that wakes you up an hour earlier than normal because your brain knows you have too much to do. I just knew that this was yet another Monday that cancels my yogalates class. There was no way (yet again) that I was going to be able to sneak it into my morning.

After attempting to fall back to sleep and failing I dragged myself out of bed and began to start the day. I knew this morning would be a massive rush because there were just too many "to do's" converging at the same time. I had to pack the boys' lunches, pack a snack for Grace, help Joey get everything together for his Science Fair presentation today, help Ben get everything together for his week as Star Student, get Grace and Ben going on breakfast, and I had to oversee the packing of all the backpacks with hats, gloves, mittens, boots, and snowpants. Oh yes, and today is crazy hair day at school. Yippee! So, I had to leave enough time to make the kids look "CRAZY". And the dog vomited too. So that was an added bonus.
(Joey did not want to participate in the crazy hair day since he had to present his Science Fair project. Understandable. I just hope he hasn't grown out of crazy silliness already.)

Somehow, we managed to make it out the door on time. I helped Ben and Joey carry all their gear into school, loaded Ben down with all his Star Student goodies, and ushered Joey down to the auditorium to help him set up his Science Fair project. Even though I'd brought my camera with me (of course) there was no time for pictures. Joey quickly flew upstairs before I could snap a few of him and his project. The kid loathes being late (though I don't think it has ever happened).

The rest of the morning followed suit. Books were returned to the library, a trip to the bank, grocery shopping (I don't know why I always do the weekly grocery shopping on Monday-ugh), sheets washed, breakfast dishes were cleaned up, house was picked up, and before I knew it it was time to pick Grace up from school again.

Nerves are added to the excitement and frenzy of today. Tonight Joey and Tommy will try out for the school musical The Wizard of Oz. For the past 3 or 4 years our school has been fortunate to have a couple (literally a husband and wife couple) of theater gurus direct musicals at our school. They get a bunch of their theater friends to help out with stage direction, choreography, music, costumes, and props and the final product is quite amazing. Last year's production of Annie blew me away. I have been in MANY theater company productions and this school production was definitely up to par. Our school has many brave and talented students, teachers, and parents. Kids in grades 4-8, teachers, and parents of students, are all encouraged to try out. Last year Joey didn't want to try out for Annie (not that many boy parts) but this year both Tommy and Joey were excited to give it a shot. The boys asked me if I'd try out with them and seeing as how I have been feeling the stage calling me back recently I thought it would be a perfect opportunity. So, tonight the three of us will be at school for auditions.

I know the busy madness and nerves will continue this afternoon and evening. The kids come home from school, homework is taken care of, snacks are handed out, Joey and Tommy go over their auditions and fill out their audition sheets, more picking up the house (drying snow clothes, putting away shoes and backpacks and blah, blah, blah). Then I have to stuff food down the kids' throats so we can quickly usher Joey off to basketball practice from 6-7:30 and then Tommy and I can run out to school for auditions at 7. Joey will meet us at auditions after his basketball practice. We'll get home sometime around 8 or 9 and the kids will be ushered off to bed as quickly as possible. At which point I will mostly likely collapse into a worthless heap, grab a cocktail, and watch mindless and embarrassing Monday night tv.

Ah Monday. I'm so glad you only come once a week.


11 comments:

Bijoux said...

So, we can talk about Vanderpump Rules tomorrow?

Hahaha.......you put me to shame, although I did clean two showers and mop bathroom floors today.

Tabor said...

Your lives a just a little crazy, but when you do slow down a decade from now remember to bend and not break.

Kat said...

Ha! I didn't even know what that was. I had to Google it. ;) I was referring to Celebrity Apprentice and The Bachelor. Despicable tv but acceptable with a cocktail. ;) Plus it gives me and my girlfriends something to make fun of. :)

The kids are peacefully eating snacks, Ben is in the bath, Grace is next for a shower, and soon I'll start dinner. I'm halfway through the day. Wee!!!

Sounds like your Monday was productive! Well done, you! It is hard to do ANYTHING on Mondays sometimes.

Kat said...

Tabor- Ha! We were both writing at the same time!
I am learning the fine art of relaxing when I can. So far this year I have been much better at just taking moments when I can and doing something I like. I've been reading a lot lately. Letting go of some things that maybe don't have to be done RIGHT NOW and just taking 20 minutes or so to sit down with my coffee and read for a while. It helps. ;)
But I know that someday I will look back on this time and think HOW??? I was just watching old family videos from when the kids were all very small and it made me wonder how I survived that. Such chaos nonstop. But we all get through, right? RIGHT???? ;)

Angie said...

I thought my Monday was rough. You just made me feel so much better about it.

betty said...

You pack a lot into a day! Hope the auditions went well! Sounds like a great experience to be part of the production!

betty

Bijoux said...

I switch between Vanderpump and Celebrity Apprentice. It's really the best part of Mondays.

Mom24 said...

That is a busy day! I wish my days had more busyness in them during the 9-3 time frame, after school time is crazy enough.

Can't wait to hear how auditions went. Good for you for trying!

Wisconsin Girl said...

I love mindless Monday TV night:) Sounds like your kids are thriving in all of the business, but you do a great job of finding much valued family time too!

Riahli said...

You can expect no less from Mondays. ;) Your life is beautifully full. :)

Anonymous said...

Your Monday sounds like my Tuesday. I always go to bed feeling like I've been CLOBBERED by life's expectations.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson