Sunday, June 15, 2014

My Dad

My dad worked third shift in a factory for over 30 years to provide for his family of 8. He would walk to work every night. Sometimes he would ride his bike. We had one family car that he would NEVER take to work (even in a blizzard) in the off-chance that my mom might need it in the morning to take us kids to school. He was a fierce protector of the underdog. He befriended all (except those SOBs that broke glass in the park and left it for innocent kids to step in). He was an avid outdoorsman and an inspired athlete. He was the life of the party, the ultimate comedian in his impersonations and jokes. He was an immensely talented singer (a crooner), a dancer, and a performer. He cut the grass, he grilled out, he fixed the fence (time and again- "stop climbing on the damn fence!"), he built a play tower, he took us camping, he killed the centipedes, he built the shed, he took us on motorcycle rides, he taught me how to change a tire and how to throw a spiral. I can remember how careful his giant hands were when he would gently wash my hair with my head hovering in the kitchen sink. When we were babies he rocked us, when we were scared he held us, when we were tired he carried us up to our beds. I remember faking sleep a number of times in my childhood just so he would carry me to bed. Not only did he tell us he loved us but he showed us as well. He was at every play, every concert, every game. He thought my sarcasm was hilarious, he encouraged my spunk, he was proud of my independence. He told me I was beautiful and smart and even though I couldn't believe the words he said them with such conviction that I knew he believed and that meant everything to me. He taught me how to love God and how to put my trust in Him. My dad was far from perfect, he had flaws, he was human, he made mistakes. But my dad will always be my hero. I miss him more than I can say.

 Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

 I love you!




8 comments:

Tabor said...

What a beautiful and meaningful tribute. I am sure he is so prouds wherever his spirits rest. The photo is so full of joy.

Bijoux said...

Beautiful! XO

Karen Deborah said...

Up in heaven your DA wiped a tear form his eyes. I love this and
I faked being asleep too. It was so fun unless he knew and I was faking and then I got tossed over the shoulder to hang upside down!!! Giggle producer every time!

Cyndy @ Back in the Bush said...

You were super blessed and I can only imagine what a hole has been left in your life without him. xoxo

betty said...

Kat, thanks for sharing your dad with us. He seemed like a wonderful man and father, a great provider for his family!

betty

Stephanie Faris said...

What a loving tribute. You were lucky to grow up with such a great male role model in your life.

Charmaine said...

Hi Kat :) sounds like u had a real Dad in every sense of the word. You are so lucky! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson