Monday, October 8, 2012

Festively Fall

The wind is whipping up a frenzy outside, beating golden leaves against my window as they rain down from the trees.  I am clutching my steaming coffee in my hands, trying to seep out any warmth that I can.  My sweatshirt, fuzzy socks, and slippers are not enough to keep me warm today though the weather is slightly warmer than it was yesterday.  I have a chill I just can't shake.  Perhaps I should break down and turn on the furnace

The weather seems to have taken a sharp turn from warm 70s to cool 50s overnight.   The wind has kicked up too making my runs a bit more difficult with the extra clothing, the heavy winds, and the leaves swirling around my feet as I struggle to keep moving.  Wasn't it just a few days ago I was running in shorts and a tank top?

No matter.  This is fall.  And I just can't help but love fall regardless of the chilly weather, crazy winds, colds that hold on and on, and decreasing sunlight.  

Fall, oh glorious fall.

My house is all gussied up from head to toe in fall decorations.  There are leaves and scarecrows and pumpkins and ghosts and witches everywhere.  Apple pie and mulberry scented candles fill the air.  Pumpkin spice coffee is always brewing, and I am working on my third massive batch of applesauce soon.  Every other day I bring home just one more decoration for the yard, porch, or mantle.  I love watching the kids come home from school and ooh and ahh over the decorations and the smell of the cookies fresh out of the oven.  

Fall, oh glorious fall.

Though the weather was cooler than I'd liked we really lived it up this weekend and managed to fit in a bunch of wonderful fall activity on our list of favorites.  

Number 1 on that list is a trip to the pumpkin farm/apple orchard.  It is definitely a must every year.
The kids took the obligatory family tree picture and Todd and I even got in on a little goofiness as well.
Todd makes for a really hairy woman.
AND, we even managed to get not one, but two, really nice family photos.  Now I just need to pick which one will be framed in our living room.
After the pictures were taken the kids were free to roam around picking out their pumpkins, climb in the haystack, feed the animals, and look at all the goodies in the apple store.
When we had finally paid for our pumpkins, gourds, hay bales, apple cider, and bags of apples it was time to head back home.  The kids were sad to leave the pumpkin farm so I promised more outdoor fun when we got home.  

Leaves littered our front yard and the kids eagerly helped me rake them into a huge pile.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the boys were able to help with the raking this year and in no time we had enough leaves for jumping and hiding.  
The kids had a blast in their leaf pile (and Molly had a blast barking at them and biting at the leaves), and I'm still picking up stray leaves in my living room that hitched a ride in on the kids' clothes.   Ah well.  It goes with the rest of the fall decor in my house, right?
We wrapped up the day with a nice warm fire, snuggly blanket nests, a halloween movie, warm fuzzy jammies, fresh apple cider, and popcorn.

It was a darned good day despite the chill in the air.

Fall, oh glorious fall.

15 comments:

Tabor said...

You make me miss the fact that there are no little ones at my house and none will visit in the fall. So no decorations here. Oh well, I can live vicariously through you.

Cyndy Bush said...

What a totally perfect fall day! I love the family pic on the hay bales. =)

lime said...

i am a lover of fall too. my very favorite season. and now i miss having little ones to jump around in the leaves. glad you all had such a fun time.

Lynn said...

great post and I always love your pics! Your family is so sweet!

Unknown said...

That's going to be a tough decision on the photo, they are both wonderful! And Grace really is your Mini-Me. :)

david mcmahon said...

Great family shots, Kat; especially the one of the kids in the leaves!

When I'm in your neck of the woods, it would be my very great pleasure to be your family's personal portrait photographer.

Best wishes from thousands of miles away ....

Anonymous said...

HOW do you manage to get a photo of ALL of your family looking at the camera AND smiling? I can't even do it with just four of us! Please impart you wisdom. LOL AWESOME pics. I love that the doggy was in the leaf pile in the last shot of the kids. :-) I LOVE FALL!!!!

Mom24 said...

That sounds like a fabulous day and those pictures are priceless. Good luck deciding!

Hoping for a trip to the pumpkin farm soon and I'm also avoiding turning on the furnace. It's coming though.

Kat said...

David- I would FREAK OUT if you were in the area and could take my family's picture! Seriously. Freak out. You are such and amazing, talented photographer and you've also been a great blog friend. :)
Hope all is well with you!

Anonymous said...

You have such a photogenic family, Kat!
Oy--it got TOO cold TOO fast here. Brr!

Karen Deborah said...

oh man I am so jealous can I puhleeze come over? yesterday I switched the AC back on, really it's hot again. BUT I baked a sweet potatoe pie anyway.

Lindsay Y. said...

Your family pics is absolutely gorgeous! Lucky. :-) I love all your fall pics. I can't help but look at the one with the four holes for the kiddos and think "what if people have MORE than four children?!" Ha! You're really making me miss Fall up North. Here the leaves SOMETIMES turn a burnt orange (not nearly as pretty as up there) and then instantly drop. Sniff. Enjoy your season!

Kat said...

Lindsay- And you know what is really crazy? This is one of the only places that has the picture boards with the four holes in it. Most places only have two or three. So crazy.

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wisconsin Girl said...

Love all of these fall activities and how you captured them. What fun! And absolutely love your family pictures...they did turn out GREAT! I'm wishing I could find the energy to put up some fall decorations (minus the 2 uncarved pumpkins outside and 3 gourds on top of the TV:) The kids would love it, I just never seem to find the time. But hopefully I can get in gear for Christmas as the kids are talking about that already!

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson