Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Proud Owner of a Teenager

Today my firstborn turns thirteen.

I am now in possession of a teenager. And I couldn't be prouder.

I don't know how this all happened so quickly but I am so grateful that this teenager is the same lovable, cuddly, funny, kind, weird, smart, talented, goofy, bossy, hard working, dramatic, analytical, silly, serious, odd, and sweet boy that he has always been. I look at this young man before me and I'm so thankful that he is the same person he was as a little bitty boy. He makes me laugh so hard. He tries so hard to be good. He works so hard to do well. He puts other's feelings above his own. He is an amazing young man. He brings me so much joy.

Joe has just about caught up to me in height. Soon, probably mere weeks, he will be taller than me. Yet he still wants to sit with me, give me hugs, and tell me about his day.

I am so proud of this boy. I am so proud to be his mama. I can't believe this baby of mine is now a teenager. But I am certain of one thing. No matter how old, Joseph, you will always be my baby.

Happy Birthday, Joey! I am so proud of you and love you so much!

7 comments:

betty said...

Happy birthday Joey!! I hope the next year ahead is filled with lots of great adventures and learning for you!

betty

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to him! Thirteen is a fun year, my middle is in the middle of it. They are fun (and TALL!).

Kat said...

Betty- Thank you! I see great things in his future. :)

Green Girl- I really am loving this age. He is the same exact kid he always was. And really no attitude that everyone always associates with teens. And he still loves to sit with me and give me hugs. It is just the best. And he is freaking hilarious. It is so fun to hang out with him. I remember when my kids were really small and I would lament them getting older and you would always tell me how much fun older kids are. I get it now. So, thank you for that.
And tall! Yes! He will be taller than me any second now.

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings and congrats to you.
Happy Birthday to your 13 year old
The Key...keep it real, real talk, real honesty and balance it all with gentle tenderness and love. I didn't have any issues with my teens because these were some of the tools i used

Stay blessed.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Happy, happy birthday to your Joey!

My oldest likes to come up to me and measure how close she is to being as tall as me. And I know it will be here before I know it!

Mom24 said...

Happy birthday Joey.

Kat said...

Rhapsody- Very good advice. So far so good! :)

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson