Thursday, February 24, 2011

You're Eight

Today you are eight years old.  I don't know how that happened. 

You are playing on a basketball and football team.  You downhill ski.  You fold your clothes (when repeatedly told).  You get your own breakfast.  You shower yourself.  Your reading is amazing.  You are a champion speller.  You are blossoming and becoming quite a lovely young man. 

You had your First Reconcilliation last night.  After practicing on your mama (thank you for trusting me) you got your nerves under control and made your first confession.  When you were done you walked over to me with your wonderful smile beaming and said, "I feel great!"  I was so happy for you.

This past year has brought so much growth to you.  Not only physically, as anyone can see how you continue to sprout up, but emotionally and intellectually as well.  You are truly striving to be a good boy.  You try to be a good brother to your siblings, though that is a tough job for you sometimes.  Your brothers are both the bane of your existence and your very best friends in the world.  You are completely smitten with your sister and tell her every five minutes how pretty and sweet she is.  Both your brothers and your sister are so very fortunate to have you as their oldest brother. 

You have boundless energy.  It is difficult to wear you out.  You are always on the move.  Always ready for action.  Every day when you come home from school the first words out of your mouth are, "Can I go play outside?"

You are a friend to all.  And everyone is your friend.  The minute you meet someone you tell me they are your friend.  Do you know their name?  Nope.  But they are your friend.  It makes your mama both very proud of you and very nervous at the same time.  But this is always who you have been.  "That's my friend!" has always been in your vocabulary from little on.

You do all the things an eight year old does. 

It should be easy for me to believe.

Today you are eight years old.

I don't know how that happened.


Happy Birthday, Joey!
I love you!

17 comments:

Naqvee said...

well, i dont have my own kids, actually im nt even married yet.. but still i can feel that emotion.. which must have stirred your soul.. your baby.. is soon going to be.. a handsome young man.. keep up the goodness live in him throughout his growing years.. show him the good path and let him follow it.. forever in his life.. so he can be good and strong like his dad.. and soft with a heart of gold like his mom

Linda said...

My grand-daughter turned 13 today, and we don't know what happened either! As my sister is fond of saying, 'when you feed and water them, they grow up!' Enjoy your boy, because before you know it, he will be a man. I do love my adult kids!

Mom24 said...

Aww, happy birthday! So funny that I never before put together that he's the same age as Julianna.

Hope he has a great year.

Hilary said...

Awww look at that face! Happy birthday to your little guy. The time does pass so quickly, doesn't it?

Hattie said...

Awwww, Happy Birthday Joey! Love the pic, too cute!!!

tweetey30 said...

You ask yourself where has time went.. My oldest baby turned 10 last month in Jan and my youngest will be 7 in June.. Where is time going??

dawn klinge said...

I love the birthday posts you write for your kids. I know they will treasure these. Happy Birthday to Joey!

Unknown said...

He has your same exact eyes. And EIGHT?!? WOW. Happy Birthday to your beautiful, sweet boy! xo

Jill said...

Happy happy 8th birthday! We just celebrated one over here as well ... isn't it such a fun age?

Cyndy Bush said...

Happy Birthday to him! He looks so mature.
Andrew is the same way with friends....he comes up and says "see that guy? He's my friend!" and I ask "What's his name?" and he inevitably says "I dunno." LOL

Jackie K said...

What a lovely post. He sounds like a wonderful boy. I love how kids are so open to new friendships, my 5-year-olds are the same, first day of school they had two friends each and no names to tell me...

mj said...

Great post! He's so cute and its look like he's very handsome boy. Time is very fast. I like to see more of his photos..


Alaska Fishing Lodge | Real Estate |
Washington State Speeding Ticket | SEO Dallas |
Alaska Hunting Guides

imbeingheldhostage said...

EIGHT?! Wow how time has flown. Happy birthday Joey!

Mel said...

Yep...don't I know it. Hope turned 8 on the 20th. I swear it was just yesterday we were in China and she was handed to me in that noisy conference room. Time simply screams by...enjoy every single minute. ")

historygirlie said...

Wonderful dedication to your little buddy...happy birthday Joey!

Lisa said...

Eight? Josh & I were just talking about how old eight sounds.
Sounds like you are raising a great guy, Kathryn! Yay Joey!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Eight? Eight? That's just not cool. It really happens way too fast.

I was just saying to Mr. Serious that Iz will be FIVE this year. And, I cant' believe it.

Words To Live By

Be grateful for each new day.
A new day that you have never lived before.
Twenty-four new, fresh, unexplored hours to use usefully and profitably.
We can squander, neglect, or use them.
Life will be richer or poorer by the way we use today.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could;
some blunders and absurdities crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be
encumbered with your old nonsense.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson